Highest res CCTV camera that can be used with "PAL" input?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a slightly off-beat application for a church. They require a camera to connect to a Kramer presentation switcher/scaler. It's not a security appliction - it's so the the congregation can view the pic from the camera. The Kramer has four composite video inputs and the specification for these simply states NTSC or PAL. I assume that this would the same as connecting a camera directly to the composite video input of a non-HD domestic TV? I realise that I can't go HD, so what sort of camera would give the best image taking into account the spec limitations?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Typically PAL video is 575 visible lines. You might want to look at S-video if it's available and separate the chroma and luma signals for better results.

The angle of view is going to be important, if you have a wide angle lens on the camera then there won't be any detail and on a large screen the whole image will be indistinct. Narrow angle lens will give a better image of a smaller area, even at a lower resolution on a alrge screen.

Also consider latency, if the congregation will be watching an orchestra/conductor or other people singing, any latency on the system may be very disconcerting. Some cameras have poor latency or react poorly to fast moving images.

Thanks Owain, Latency is a good point that I hadn't considered, however I think I will get away with it as there is no lip sync. It's simply to mount in the bell tower, to show the bells working between services - video only. The bell space is a bit cramped, so I think wide angle will be needed.

Sponsored Links
Typically PAL video is 575 visible lines.
That's horizontal lines. It's the same as standard TV. PAL is/was the non-US standard for video and runs at 50Hz (whilst NTSC is Yank and runs at 60Hz). Cameras also quote "TVL" which are vertical lines. Good old VHS tapes had a couple of hundred. Modern cameras will be 500-1000 lines. Any camera with a BNC or yellow phono connector should do - the more you spend, the better the image will be. "Box cameras" are getting hard to find so you'll probably end up with a bullet camera. Don't forget to consider the lighting in the bell tower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back