Hip roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am shortly having an extension on the rear of my bungalow. The current rear wall is a gable end and i want the extension to be hip.

I am a time served carpenter & joiner(old school) but have been off the tools for many years. The bungalow was built in the 70's with the new premade trussed rafter roof.

So to the question, can a hip roof assembly be constructed with trussed rafters or will I need to do a traditional hip?

I would point out that as I served my time in the late 50,s I would have no problem cutting a traditional hip, but with no experience of trussed rafter which would be easiest?

Sponsored Links
I personally prefer to build a cut roof. But they do become impractical with wider clear spans.

Roof trusses can be manufactured to suit any roof shape going and are easy to fix. It would be arranged with a girder truss complete with all the shaped elements.

They even supply you with a bracing and strapping detail as well as all the calculations needed for building control.

It is also possible to fix a traditional hip end onto a truss roof if you wanted to, but it may be impractical to do so.

P.s. why did you want a hip? They are less straight forward than a gable

Thanks for the thoughts. Reason for hip 1. To add some character to an otherwise dull building and 2. Because the hip will face South and be suitable for solar panels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back