Hip roofed shed - sealing edges of felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have started building a right angled triangular workshop in my garden and am almost at the stage of building the roof. All three sides need to be horizontal at the eaves, so I intend to build a three sided shallow pyramidal roof with the peak in the centre, but I have only ever built gable ended sheds before and I'm scratching my head about how to make the roofing felt watertight (and snow tight) down the edges of the three triangular sections.

Below drawing shows the style of "3-panelled" roof I'm looking for, with the ceiling joists marked in brown. (I have approx 20x 4.5m long (50x250) joists from a recent demolition I'm going to use).

The peak will be approx 400mm above the eave, supported by a vertical post off a double joist, so the roof will have a shallow pitch.

Sponsored Links
Just let the felt (from both pitches) over-run the hip by about 200 - 300mm. trim it back to the angle of the hip and fix it down as per the rest.
If you wanted to go belt & braces, fix a piece of felt, 500 -600mm wide, straight down the hip, so that it covers each side equally.

If you wanted a really good finish, cut hip tile shaped pieces form your felt, as per felt shingles, and fix up the hip. Each upper piece will cover the lower piece nails. Cut the tile shapes so that the upper half of each tile slopes back to the middle slightly so that the upper tile will completely cover the upper half of the lower tile.

The pitch is very shallow so the more experienced might suggest greater overlaps or the judicous use of some mastic.

Sponsored Links
Just let the felt (from both pitches) over-run the hip by about 200 - 300mm. trim it back to the angle of the hip and fix it down as per the rest.
If you wanted to go belt & braces, fix a piece of felt, 500 -600mm wide, straight down the hip, so that it covers each side equally.

If you wanted a really good finish, cut hip tile shaped pieces form your felt, as per felt shingles, and fix up the hip. Each upper piece will cover the lower piece nails. Cut the tile shapes so that the upper half of each tile slopes back to the middle slightly so that the upper tile will completely cover the upper half of the lower tile.

The pitch is very shallow so the more experienced might suggest greater overlaps or the judicous use of some mastic.
Hi I don’t suppose you have a diagram of what I need to do I need to felt a hip roof summerhouse and struggling to work out what to do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back