Batten Spacing On Roof With Two Pitches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A small roof I will be tiling with cedar shingles has three sides to make up a triangular shape (see attached image). There are three hips to the roof.

Two of the sides have the same pitch and area (roof side 2 & 3), whilst one side has a lower pitch (roof side 1).

My question is in regards to fixing battens.

1. Should the battens be fixed at the correct gauge to suit the one side with the lower pitch (roof side 1), and the gauge then be decreased on the other two sides with the higher pitch (roof side 2 and 3) so that all of the battens end up being fixed at the same height on all three sides? OR

2. Should the gauge remain the same on all sides, meaning that the battens will be at a different height on one side of the roof (with a lower pitch / roof side 1) in comparison the the other two sides (with a higher pitch / roof side 2 & 3)?

I'm unsure whether either of the above results will affect the fixing of the hip tiles later on.

Sponsored Links
The hips will not be mitred as I'm not using any underlay of flashing underneath the shingles. The hips will have cedar ridge shingles (basically two shingles stapled together at an angle) along them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back