Hive 2 Receiver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I self installed the Hive 2 heating and hot water thermostat a few months ago replacing the existing Horstmann H27 control unit . All is well apart from one little thing- using the heating button on the Hive 2 Receiver next to the boiler turns on the boost function for the heating only. Is this how it is supposed to work? I'm happy to use the app/thermostat but the little ones grandparents can't get the hanging of it and just want to turn the boiler on manually.

Sponsored Links
The Reciver as I read it, can be used to switch on the Hot water heating and the Heating. I then expect it would control the heating to the hot water cylinder until the cylinder stat is satisfied and the Hive room thermosate, ( best you double check this ) to control the temperature of both if the homes wifi is working. If the wifi is not working or the batteries have failed in the Hive thermosate, then the Reciver could be used and would start the hot water heating until the cylinder stat is satisfied. The heating would be controlled at the boilers own stat. The Reciver is really a fall back control if the wifi fails and also part of the initial Hive set-up. I would encourage the end user to take the time to read up and understand the Hive Thermosate and Hive app and only make use of the Reciver if the homes wifi fails.
Anyway, i expect all the info for versions of Hive controls are in the Hive manual, and that's my understanding but willing to be corrected. ( not had to make use of the Reciver as yet )

Last edited:
you could add Alexa for them. You could write a list of heating control words for both hot water and central heating.....

Thanks. Will have a look into Alexa and see if I can pick up a cheap one somewhere. Does the button on the heating button on the receiver just boost other people'heati g though? Wondering if I have wired that part incorrect ly. As I said the app and thermostat work as they should.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Will have a look into Alexa and see if I can pick up a cheap one somewhere. Does the button on the heating button on the receiver just boost other people'heati g though? Wondering if I have wired that part incorrect ly. As I said the app and thermostat work as they should.

What are you expecting the Heating button to do other than boost the heating ?

Turn the heating on until it's turned off or the room thermostat reaches the required temperature.

Ok, not sure what the problem is - what is it not doing then ?

The Echo Dot is able to work with Hive and is a good saving over the large Echo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back