Hive wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all
I am looking to wire in a hive mini, so I've got a programmer which is next to thr boiler and a thermostat downstairs.

If I'm correct I can leave the programmer in place on always on and change the thermostat to hive.

I've attached the pics of wiring of the thermostat currently in place, how will these wires translate to hive.

Any help would be appreciated

1000010512.jpg
1000010511.jpg
1000010510.jpg

Attachments

• 1000010511.jpg
    1000010511.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 20
Sponsored Links
The thermostat you show should have a neutral, but will work without one, you have not shown the programmer.

So you need to test first, and also decide what you want. I have also looked at Hive, and the wiring seems relatively easy, there are two models it seems, one is volt free the other is two zone and also controls DHW. What I have failed to work out is if the zigbee hub has to be Hives own hub, or if any hub will do.

The main idea of Hive, Wiser, Tado, or Evohome is it allows one to link TRV heads to the thermostat, and the Wiser TRV is £2 more expensive but seems the algorithms are superior. With Hive the wall thermostat must be in a room under 22ºC for it to accept a demand for heat, so it seems likely better to go for the slightly more expensive Drayton Wiser.

But if mounted in a hall it seems it would work OK, i.e. some where keep cool. But the unit would replace the programmer, and you have not published pictures of that, so can only talk in general terms.

At the moment I have Nest Gen 3 and in hind sight that was a mistake, but you need to give details of whole system, maybe Nest would have worked with a gas boiler, but it is a bit useless with an oil fired boiler, where existing wiring means only option is to fit in the hall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back