Hogs Valley, To step or not to step?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,

I have just done a complex part of a little roofing project, so this is really a retrospective question.

I have 3 roofs, intersecting at one point, 2 parallel and one adj at the back, producing 2 pitched valleys running down into one low pitch hogs valley (sorry dunno the european term for it, will post picture if required.)

The valleys are all code 5 leadwork, cant stripped and welted! Stainless steel nailed on one side only to prevent movement and lapped with a manufactured valley cladding (Makes it easy to slate and gives a nice uniform finish)

My Hogs valley is falling 7" over 15', Thats a 1:25 fall. I couldn't go much higher, I had to accomodate roof lights.

I framed out the hogs valley using 2*4" runners between my parallel rafters on each roof, and knocked in valley supports, again 2*4, running between each rafter runner. I framed down on top of this using 3/4" marine ply, leavin an U channel gettin progressively wider back up the hog.

I lay down left-over radon barrier as a vap barrier, installed cant strips (with galv nails) 5" up from bend on U of hog, on each side. The cants were laid 1/4" higher than battens to allow slight bell on slates.

Yesterday we installed our lead flashing. at the least point its 20" in width, and the most its 46" in width. I used 36" rolled lead sheet, turned sideways (to min off cuts and to make the width at the back). with head laps of 6-8" in max sections of 5 feet, some were max 2 1/2 ft section as the lead was turned. I ended up with 4 laps over the 15ft.

Now the crux of my question, I had another roofer turn up on site and he reckoned I should have stepped the Hog. every 4 feet by 2 inches.

If I had done that, The fall would have been 7 + 6(lets say 3 steps), thats 13" of a fall, my valleys would have been meeting very high and I would have had to lift the roof windows a couple of inches.

My opinion is that the steps are of no real benefit, I cant see how water will spill back up the laps, water running from the back 2 pitched valleys will give any runoff heaps of momentum. (Moss wont be a prob as I am installing copper ridges). I guess the only issue is snow, but its not really aproblem here in this part of Ireland, even if, theres 2 large roof windows to climb out to move it on if nec.

Whats the general opinion on these types of hogs valleys?

thanks
for your time
Pat

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back