Hold on before you buy that new HDTV...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was just thinking "what do they use for mastering high-definition stuff?" After all, there have been a couple of films shot entirely digitally now, the Star Wars prequels for a start (not sure about Ep1, but certainly 2 and 3).

So, it seems they use a standard called "4K", with a resolution of 4096 x 2160... This is the current ideal for "digital cinema".

You can buy a Sony 4K projector for a mere $60,000US :eek: I couldn't find one on the Dixons website, nor on Froogle... :LOL:

The replacement bulb (2000W) is a mere $2100. Being priced in USD, that is obviously exclusive of tax :LOL:

Sounds pricey, but it really isn't so bad: people were spending that sort of money on 3-tube CRT home cinema projectors a couple of years ago (probably still are!). There were certainly a few £20K projectors out there, £30K is only a 50% increase (and think of the inflation).

So, will anyone here be buying one?

Sponsored Links
$60k? for a projector????? I bet a cinema projector costs less than that! :eek:

I was thinking, are projector bulbs really that expensive to produce? Or is it like the old inkjet printer cartridge pricing strategy? And Sky tv fees.

Low set up cost (cheaper projector, £20 printer, free digibox)

High compulsory afterpayments (£200 bulbs, £60 to fill printer with ink, £45 a month skytv to pay off free digiboxes)

I don't know if they are still around, but there used to be a company that would give you a free printer, with no obligation, on the idea that you would find it easier to buy all the consumables from their company (I guess you set up an account). The printers were bottom-of-the-range, but if you just wanted to print the odd document you'd be fine.

Sponsored Links
Pointless buying anything new on the market...give it six months and they will be 400 quid!

are they HMI Lamps as opposed to tungsten? then they would be pricey.

Back