Home-made agricultural machinery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I made a trommel! It's taken me quite a while so the photos shown are over a period of months. Other than fitting a proper motor starter and may be some paddle type things inside (like a cement mixer) it is done.

View media item 87096View media item 87097View media item 87098View media item 87099View media item 87100View media item 87101
If you want to see a vid of it in action:
Nozzle's trommel in action - Lo res

The motor is a dodgy build Chinese thing that once had a pump attached to it, the pulleys, belts and bearings I had to buy new. The rotating drum is welded together with some old bike wheel rims, a bit of old steel trellis work with chicken wire attached with wire wrapping. The rollers are some old in-line skate wheels sat in some ali U-shaped section. Ideally it could do with another pair of rollers acting on one of the wheels to control the "thrust", and keep prevent the other rollers catching on the rim edge.

I plan of rotavating the entire front and back garden and probably mixing in horse $hit and builders sand as I go. The soil here in this part of Suffolk is very clay-ey and despite living at the top of a hill, the ground saturates quickly.

Can anyone recommend anything else worth adding to the soil while it is being handled?

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
gypsum (plaster) is good for mixing into clay soils as it flocculates it into bigger grains. Any old rubbish (date expired, lumpy, rubble) will do. Coarse grit mixed into the surface inch or so will make it less muddy.

I used a lot of horse muck in mine, but when the organic material decomposes, it settles. I keep applying organic mulches which the worms dig in for me.

You will accumulate baler twine and hoofpicks.

I know absolutely nowt about soil mate but that's a cool bit of kit you've made! :cool:
Is that a Mk 1 Mini with a sunroof?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Well spotted John .........
I had a wee shift round and found a woodie estate in the other corner?

Very tidy project, just be gentle with it ............

Edit:
My mistake its the same car ...........

Thanks guys! Yes the project is a '66 Woody with a Webasto, the one "on the road" is a '95 Cooper.

An interesting point made about the plaster there. What is to stop the whole garden just setting solid after rain???

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back