honesty when selling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About a year ago i bought a detached house and as everyone knows we filled in the form that states something like "have you had any disputes with the neighbours etc",when we got the copy from the sellers it was stated that they had no disputes?
Imagine my surprise when i talked to the new neighbours and they said they on spoke to the previous occupiers via a solicitor as there dog bit them and they used to throw dog mess over the fence,the other neighbours mentioned that they refused to maintain the bounderies and would not share the cost of having the fences maintaned.
When the house transaction was complete i was told by my solicitor that it was not mortgage free and had 7 remortgages outstanding plus the fact the property was never registerd :evil:
When i lived in my previous excouncil house i kept myself to myself even though all the neighbours caused trouble (throwing eggs on walls and late night parties etc)but when i filled in the dispute form i told the truth?
wish i'd have known it would'nt have made any difference.

Sponsored Links
It does make a difference.

Your vendor has lied and misrepresented the facts about the property.

If this had/has a material affect on your title to the property, or your enjoyment of it, or the value of it, or the ability to sell it, then you would be entitled to hold him/her liable and to claim compensation.

to tell you the truth i was just happy to get the house,i did'nt know about the aforementioned until i had exgchaned contracts.I paid £145000 and just had it valued in its present state at £189000 but i have paid for 3 tonnes of rubbish to be removed and it also cost me over £1000 for the removal of leylandi that was bordering the property.

Sponsored Links
Back