Honeywell 3 port valve question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
V4073A1088 28MM HONEYWELL MOTORISED MID-POSITION VALVE

At rest with no demand from heating or HW, the motor is very hot. Is this normal ? Am also fairly sure the mid-positon for CH/HW demand is not working.

Also, I am sure the valve is rattling inside the pipework. Have tried adjusting the pump gate valves but made no difference. Is this likely to be the valve ?

Any help much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Hot at rest, is wrong.
Check the wiring!
Not doing the mid position correctly is often a wiring error - no "HW OFF" wire from the programmer for example.
Rattling is unlikely. They use a rubber ball to shut off the unwanted outlet.
Rattling is usually bubbles of air moving through - yes really!

Hot at rest, is wrong.
Not always.

If the valve is in the CH only position and heating is satisfied, the valve will stay held in the CH position. So the valve be warm, even when everything is 'off'. The valve will only move to the HW 'rest' position if HW is called or power removed completely from the valve by turning off at the main switch.

Did some further checks :-

Mid position is working

If CH is satisfied, valves stays in CH position

If HW satisfied , valve stays in HW position.

I assume this is normal ?

Only problem is when HW satisfied my pump overrun goes on for ages as the water though the boiler is just going through the HW tank coil etc..Pump overrun is sensed from the boiler stat.

It would be good if it always defaulted back to the CH position then the overrun would go off quicker.

However, having only just the pump overrun working properly myself due to BG not being able to sort it, I'm not overly bothered.

If there was an easy way to do this I would be very interested ????

Sponsored Links
Also, I'm now fairly sure the rattling noise is the pump. Grundfoss 15/60.

If you shake the pipe when it's off you can definitely here something rattling around inside . I assume this means it's on the way out, it's also noisier than it used to be when in operation.

If CH is satisfied, valves stays in CH position

If HW satisfied , valve stays in HW position.

I assume this is normal ?
Yes. If the valve is in mod position it will go to HW Or CH, depending on which is satisfied first.

Only problem is when HW satisfied my pump overrun goes on for ages as the water though the boiler is just going through the HW tank coil etc..Pump overrun is sensed from the boiler stat.
Some boilers controls the overrun by a timer, others by a thermostat. Which boiler do you have?

The long overrun time could also be due to the pump not circulating the water properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back