Honeywell 707 Thermostat Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Live in a new build, 2yr old with 2 Honeywell 707 Thermostats (one upstairs, one downstairs). When I switch the downstairs to MAN, the gas light symbol appears and the radiators come on, but when I do the same upstairs, the gas light symbol appears on the thermostat, but the radiators do not switch on. I've looked through various threds on here about zone valves etc, but they seem to be working ok. Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Inside each of the motorised valves is a microswitch. When the valve moves to the open position, the switch is triggered and the boiler starts. What you describe would be commensurate with the symptoms of a failed microswitch in the upstairs zone motorised valve. You say that the valve appears to be working, so, the valve could ve opening but the switch inside is not operating and starting the boiler.

Even with the switch failed, the upstairs rads would normally come on when the downstars rads start the boiler. If they don't come on then, the valve may not be opening.

Someone suitably skilled in the use of a multimeter would be able to test it quite easily.

Reactions: CBW
Thanks. Can I test this theory in any way by manually operating the valves? They are always in the 'auto' position- should this be the case?

The 'manual' position of the lever is there for fixing the valve in the open position for when the system is initially being filled with water, or drained. It doesn't usually move the mechanism far enough to operate the switch.

If the valve is faulty, in that it isn't opening, then moving it to the manual position will open it and the upstairs radiators would warm up when the downstairs valve is open and triggers the boiler.

Sponsored Links
I take it when you operate downstairs and rads come on, it’s just downstairs rads that come on?

Yes correct. Just had someone come over and it was indeed the zone valve for upstairs. Apparently the Honeywell ones are **** and nothing unusual for these to die within a year or two. Very disappointing but nothing new in a Vistry home. Dont buy one!

• Thanks
Yes correct. Just had someone come over and it was indeed the zone valve for upstairs. Apparently the Honeywell ones are **** and nothing unusual for these to die within a year or two. Very disappointing but nothing new in a Vistry home. Dont buy one!
Yes, Honeywell used to be the sought after valve, but their quality in a lot of what they do now heating wise has gone rapidly downhill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back