Hoover nextra frost free

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Hoover nextra frost free fridge freezer, approx 8yrs old. fridge compartment is room temp most of the time, but decides to cool correctly maybe once each day, I know, strange. This has been happening for about 2months.
The freezer side is fine, although I've noticed it's not 100% freezing the food, but enough to get away with it. Bottom of freezer has been icing up for approx 8 months, and I just chip the ice away every 1-2weeks.
I've had the cover off (inside the freezer) well almost off, just enough to see that there's a build up of ice on the coils.
Also noticed when it switches off, I switch it off at the plug, leave for a minute and switch back on to get it goin again. Sometimes it stays on for a while, and sometimes it stays on for a few seconds.
Should I give it a full defrost, or could it be something else.
Also I've tried the sheet of paper pulling between the door seal and frame, and I wouldn't say there was a great amount of restriction tbo.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Do a total 24 hr defrost on it. If that don't cure it its gonna be expensive to repair , 8 years old time for a new one. Try defrost first.

Cheers rocks.
Thought a new one would be on the cards, but I'm pretty handy
So thought if its a case of the testing and fitting of any parts, then
I'd give it a go.
A new development this morning. I can tell from the fridge, and the feel
Of stuff in the freezer that its been off all night. Switched off at plug for a few mins, then switched back on. It's getting power, but doin sod all. Any ideas ?

This thing is havin a laugh with me now !!!!!!!
Immediately after submitting last post, it's decided to come on.
Don't know how long it's gonna decide to stay on for, probably
Go off when I step out the front door.
What would stop it operating for so long, then switch on ??
Is the timer at fault ?
Does it need a sledgehammer to help it along ?
Oh for fooks sake !!!!!!! It's gone off again, only been on for 5 mins.
Think it's sledgehammer time.

Sponsored Links
it's a "frost free"

quite commonly the air ducts inside the back become choked wih ice. Chipping off what you can see will not help.

Like rocks said, you need to switch off and empty it, and leave it open for 24 hours or until water stops dripping, both inside and round the back.

Thanks John,
I will do a full defrost, but wondered if that was a waste of time,
As its not kicking in for long periods of time, and things in the freezer
Are starting to feel like they're defrosting. Previously, it was all on/off, on/off, but this morning, theres a definate off. Would an ice build up
On the coils do this ?

Just tried it again (off at plug and back on) kicks in for 5 seconds then off.

Could be start run cap or comp seized.

In that case compressor has gone. Time to scrap it

Cheers for your advice and your time rocks, and John.
Much appreciated.
Online now gettin new one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back