Fridge Freezer rarely switches off. Thermostat problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

my upright Hoover fridge freezer, even though it has auto defrost/frost free, rarely switches off and quite often has chunks of ice on the inside of the freezer section even though I have the fridge set to the very lowest temperature.

I can hear the motor of the fridge freezer running quite often, it rarely seems to be off.

Do you think this might be a faulty thermostat?

If this is a possibility is the thermostat located behind the removeable panel, which has the temperature dial, at the top of the fridge?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I've done that and ensured it was completely dry inside before restarting but it continues to do the same thing.

Weak compressor, blockage in the system or a leak.
Very unlikely to be a thermostat problem.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I've checked the tube and dish where the defrost water is supposed to run out, and it's not blocked.

So I suppose it must be a weak compressor or a leak...

The motor does switch itself off eventually, but it stays on too long which leads to ice build-up especially in the freezer, and to a much lesser extent in the fridge.

You don't think it could be a thermostat problem which is preventing it switching off often enough?

Is there any way I can check if it's a leak that's causing the problem?

ice build up is leaky door seal. If the door is tightly sealed then no additional moisture can get in to form frost.

Thanks for that JohnD

I've tested the door seals using a sheet of paper as you mentioned in another thread.

The paper comes out very easily when the door is closed so I think you might be right in it being a leaky door seal.

Is there some way to repair this, or do I simply replace the seals?

Thanks for that JohnD

I've tested the door seals using a sheet of paper as you mentioned in another thread.

The paper comes out very easily when the door is closed so I think you might be right in it being a leaky door seal.

Is there some way to repair this, or do I simply replace the seals?

If you can replace the door seals. It sounds like a cheaper model frost free fridge freezer. Get a refrigerator repairer out to see if there is a leak in the system. If you can, use another refrigerator for the things you use most- Milk, Cheese, Butter etc. If you can't, make sure you know where everything is, so you can have the door open for less time, and try not to go in and out of the refrigerator or freezer compartment, anyone with kids can attest to this!
Your defrosting system may also be having issues, have a look on YouTube about how to check your defrost timer, as it may be as simple as that.

My last idea is that you should clear out ALL the food, then give the thing a really good clean and leave it off overnight, this will allow every trace of frost to be removed- OR you can use a hairdryer in the vents to speed up the process. If you can, remove the covers in the fridge and freezer on the wall, if there is a lot of frost on the coils, then the frost free might be malfunctioning.

Frost free systems cannot handle as much frost as an old fashioned fridge/freezer, so you might have to defrost it every 2-3 days until you can get someone to fix it. If the repairer says "It will cost more than a replacement" ask how much it will cost.

I really hope this helps you- I know that feeling- When something doesn't work :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back