Fridge not cold , freezer is fine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old fridge freezer in the garage which the freezer is ice cold as it should be but the fridge is warm , there is no fan on this as it is too old , I have defrosted it and checked the drain tube but it is still the same , any thing else I can check , obviously the unit at the back works and the thermostat is switching it on and off , how is the cold passed from the freezer to the fridge ????? It's only my beer fridge so it's not worth spending anything on as it's certainly over 15 yrs old . Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Worth checking the door seal with a slip of paper to see if it grips all around most important is the bottom seal.

Sponsored Links
I had a fridge/freezer used to keep beer at brewing temperature, we bought it over 20 years ago, so old technology, and it transpired the insulation had failed hense not used as normal fridge/freezer.

I found the fridge part did not start cooling until freezer was down to temperature, so clearly the fridge is first to fail, after having a unit where the insulation failed I now test them to see how much power they are using, likely use a little more than the annual kWh per annum rating, but the motor should be turning off every so often, I find motor runs upto 2/3 of the time, but clearly must turn off every so often.

Had one where the thermostat was not switching off, this could also cause it not to switch to fridge. I found it hard to find a thermometer, but -18 C is the freezing point of brine, I found the inferred thermometer for checking body temperature also can check the freezer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back