Hopefully my last question - Pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the last few years you guys on here have helped me completely refurbish my house - literally, thanks.

I have finally come to the last job, refurb the downstairs cloakroom. Have stripped it all out and am left with a shell. (6X6X7.5 feet)

In a time long ago, previous owners had an extention built. To feed the radiator in the room they built, they hooked up to the radiator in the cloakroom, went all round the cloakroom, three sides with surface pipes some six inches above the floor, then disappeared through the wall, through the toilet downpipe boxing (breeze block constructed), this abuts the new room, and then to the new room rad.

For the cloakroom rad I have channelled out the wall to take feed from upstairs bathroom rad, on hot water feed, no problem. However I want to completely tile the room and therefore get rid of the remaining pipework that circumvents the room at present.

Having ripped out the ceiling, it is only 6 X 6 feet, I can get at central heating pipes and wish to "break in" and feed the new room rad from it. Again there is no problem as I am just changing where the pipework goes, in fact I will be shortening the run!

Sorry to go on but my question is. I am able to feed down by the side of the toilet downpipe, in the boxing, if I use plastic piping and can go from the central heating joints, to the radiator in the new room without any further joints at all. Did this before elsewhere as it threads like electric wire, through joists etc. and as I said no joints.

My only problem is, if it is one, is that the pipes dropping down through the downpipe boxing, say 7 feet, will not be attached to anything, as obviously I cant get at it, As it will be attached top and bottom and there are no joints will this be OK?

I could chace out the wall to take the pipes, but in this wall there are all the electrics, toilet pipe, waste pipe, hot and cold water pipes to basin, and it would take ages to circumvent this lot, and electrics in bathrooms, Part P and all that, say no more! Utilising the downpipe void saves me all of this.

Sorry to ramble on, but past experience from the helpful comments I have received always say give the full story!

Sponsored Links
7 feet of unclipped Central Heating pipe :eek: like most 70`s houses :LOL: and that included the mains pipes ;) - you might want to lag them to conserve some heat - otherwise fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back