horrible horrible artex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
alright guys ive had a mind blank, its been years and years schince ive had to do artex usually i get "can you get rid of my artex please" but this time its "can you cover my exsisting artex with mew artex.
do i need to prime the exsisting with anything, its all sound not blown just been patched in and looks macca.
then my plan was to artex over the top of the exsisting and stipple it.
how would you guys do this 1 coat to cover the existing then a second to stipple up? or just one coat? also the smooth border round the outside what would you use to do this.
ive found my artex tools buried at the back of the garage with spiders living in them but not 100% sure as i havent done it in hmmmm.......bout 7 or 8 years, just need help kickstarting then ol brain on this one please guys.

Sponsored Links
If I remember right seal the surface with some white emulsion. Mix your Artex up to a "Double" cream consistancy, leave for a few mins, then give it a stir. Use a large emulsion brush to put the artex on (your plastering brush would be ok).Dip your brush into the artex and stroke it on the ceiling,(dont "paint" it on) do an area of about a square metre then pattern it, then move on etc.Go as close to the edge as you can then run a 1 inch margin trowel all the way round. You can run your finger or thumb around the light fittings. Good luck .Let us know how you get on ;)

Sponsored Links
If you're putting on like for like, (stipple over stipple), you would probably get away with it after sealing it,, but if it's a combed pattern, you would have to flatten it, let it set, seal it, then re-artex.

yeah it is stipple over stipple so hopeing it goes ok. im sure when i was taught how to do it years ago we used a trowel to lay it on??
does anyone know where i can buy artex in bags like multi comes in and how much a bag will cover???
sorry for all the stupid questions that i should know but like i said i havent done artex in sooo long and when i did i hated it.

Our local B.Q sell Artex. I'm sure it's in 25kg bags, but they also sell it in smaller bags too. I used to put it on with trowel, i found it much cleaner doing it that way. Just make sure you don't put too much on at once, and keep the joint wet. I used to turn the radiators off too,, anything to stop it drying before it was textured. I hated doing artexing, and i'm so glad i don't do it nowadays. :LOL:

yeah im not looking forward to doin it cos i hate the stuff aswell. i seem to remember being told to do it by trowel cos its cleaner.
normaly i would sub it out but i feel really sorry for the people thier a fairly old couple and the people who did the job were ment to do alot more than what they have done and they left the house in a terrible state.
poor people just dnt know what to do.

...i have to ask.... why do they want it doing again if its ok anyway?

JR said it had been patched up and looked naff, so the folks want it done over again to smarten it up.

best artex pattern i ever saw was like out of space it had planets shooting stars with the trails and evrything it was well clever, i cant artex the only pattern i know how to do is that stipple pattern

i did suggest that to them but they dnt realy want to go down this route theres coving involved aswell so if i tear it down they need to recove and redecorate the whole room which they have just paid out for.
it can be rescued the patch is only like just under a meter square but it sticks out like a sore thumb this is why i was thinking lay on the artex with a trowl sos to give it a bit of body and then stipple it up.
itll be a bit tenuous but im sure i can achieve a nice finish for them.
john dnt dash my hopes haha :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back