hot and cold supply along outside of house, is this common?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am converting a bedroom into a bathroom. It's on the first floor of a victorian terrace in an urban area, and the new bathroom is next to an existing (although they are separated by a 3 step stairs).

I don't have an actual picture of my property yet, but have posted an exemplary link below. Our house is similar to the one on the right side, where drain plumbings just come out of the wall on the right side and then into the sewer system. The existing bathroom is on the outtrigger and the new bathroom will be just in the room next to it facing the rear garden (just above the garden/patio door). The plumbers are taking the hot&cold water supply from the existing bathroom and are looking to run it outside along the wall and then back into the other room. They have mentioned that this is common and the supply pipes will be fully insulated.

Can anyone confirm that this indeed is acceptable for a property of this type and age?

The more expensive option to run it internally would mean to do considerable damage to the existing bathroom as it would need to go past the toilet and upwards about 40-50 cm (the three steps). I am not so worried about freezing pipes in central london, but more bout loss if heat. But it appears none of the internal running pipes are insulated anyways, just copper pipes for water and central heating.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Example

Sponsored Links
Thanks both. Have requested to have it run internally and chased into the wall. Especially as we might do a side return extension in the future.

Sponsored Links
They have mentioned that this is common and the supply pipes will be fully insulated.
Yeah, in what country, certainly not in the UK with our climate. Can it be done, yes, with very expensive high density insulation, should it be, as others have said ... nahhhh!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back