Hot F&E Feed When Heating Is On

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First off...greatly appreciate the advice i have received on these excellent forums so far and thus, would like to thank the members who contribute here!

Onto the 'problem':

The boiler is a Glow-worm Fuelsaver 55-60. If any other info required, i would be happy to provide.

Now i'm not sure whether this is normal, but whenever HW is switched on, the feed coming from the F&E tank heats up very hot (image of the setup attached to this post). The system was recently drained so there is still some air in it - i think this is verified by the expansion pipe leading up to the F&E tank getting warm, which to me indicates water is being expelled. When CH is switched on however, the pipe does not heat up.

Boiler stat has been set to the lowest i.e. 1 and pump has also been set to 1. I read somewhere that this could be due to a split coil(?) or the result of the pump pushing water around such a small loop. Again, not really sure here! :confused:

Thanks for your time!

Sponsored Links
the cold feed pipe does get hot as when the boiler is on as the expansion of the system causes water movement up the pipe.

and where is the vent pipe, I'm suspecting the system is incorrectly piped to/from the f&e tank.

and where is the vent pipe, I'm suspecting the system is incorrectly piped to/from the f&e tank.

Please forgive me, but do you mean where is the expansion pipe leading to the F&E? When i posted earlier, someone also suspected a shoddy piping job but at the time it was just an observation they made.

Sponsored Links
its quite usual to have a vent pipe (the one that 'loops' over the F&E tank) as well as the cold feed.

its quite usual to have a vent pipe (the one that 'loops' over the F&E tank) as well as the cold feed.

Ok, i understand that. In the picture i have attached, the vent pipe is the second one from the pump. The feed into the hot water cylinder does not get hot if that bit of information helps? :oops:

I am now even more convinced your piping is wrong

yep def piped in wrong , and your pump should be on speed 3 as your gloworm is a low water content boiler and needs the pump to be on full speed otherwise it will get noisy

Ok, i will put pump onto speed setting 3. It was previously at 2, but i only just changed it to see if it would stop the hot water going up the F&E pipe.

Is this incorrect pipework something that should be rectified ASAP? i.e. is it going to cause any other problems other than hot water flowing up into the tank in the short term?

beside continuously filling system with air, it will cause blockages and sludge build-up and when weather gets colder a lot of condensation in the loft, if left, could cause rotting of timbers - other than that not a major problem.

whoever piped the system up needs locking up! you need to get someone in to re-pipe and sort your system out properley, the cold feed ent should be within 150mm from each other on the primary flow, the pump shortly after and then either a 3 port or 2 x 2 port motorised valves. your layout is very very badly designed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back