Hot Tap Screams!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a hot tap that works finer most of the time, but in the middle of the night, or early in the morning, it screams loudly! I can turn the tap to increase or decrease flow past the point were the screaming starts, but it's getting worse. I've changed the washer a couple of times, and it stopped each time for a day or two.
It's a mixer tap, fed by a combi boiler. Whether the cold tap is on or not makes no difference, the hot is noisy at anything between a trickle, and full blast.
Before I take the tap off and dismantle it, is there anything I should look for? It's an old style tap, with a nut which I believe tightens packing (I might be wrong), however tightening or slackening this nut just makes the tap easier or harder to turn, and doesn't affect the flow, or noise.

Sponsored Links
I could be (and probably am) wrong, but sometimes the spindle wears out
(The bit the washer goes on) causing a high frequency vibration during use. if this is the case could be a new tap required...

Thanks for the quick reply.

That would explain the new washer having an effect (although slight and brief). However the spindle looked new and unworn. I believe the tap is about 12 years old, not that old really for a good quality item.

I suppose I don't mind buying a new tap (although it's two taps, and a central mixer part), as long as I can be sure that the new one won't start screaming at me!

Do any other taps/outlets do it during use?
You may be able to get a new insert rather than a whole new tap, esp if you know the make and model of your tap.

Sponsored Links
No other taps do it, just the hot tap of this bathroom sink. I think it's pressure related, as it's worse in the early morning, and if someone is in the shower. I tried closing a valve under the sink, to reduce the pressure, but this just widened the 'window of noise', it made the noise start at a lower pressure and continue until nearly full blast.
If I get time today. I'll swap round hot and cold taps, just to make sure it is actually the tap.
It's a Doulton item, so I should be able to get parts (I think).

OK I've just swapped the top bits of tap around (hot tap is now the cold tap) and no change. That means it's not related to the washer or spindle. I'll have to describe the type of tap it is (don't know what it's called !)
The sink has three holes. Left for hot tap, right for cold, and middle is the mixer spout. The workings seem to be under the sink.
So...are there any serviceable parts in this lower part of the tap? I think I can work out how to remove it, there's a connection the the centre part, one to the top keeping it attached to sink, and the inlet at the bottom.
Any suggestions anyone?

The left hand side, which is the hot, still makes the same noise, regardless of which tap is fitted. When I say 'tap', I mean the top part, that comes out when you unscrew it, with washer on end. The rest of the part is under the sink, and I haven't changed that. In fact, I've just put my hand on it as it made the noise, and can feel the vibration in time to the noise, so the problem is definitely the lower part of the tap. I think I'll remove it tomorrow and see if it can be stripped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back