Hot taps and drinking softened water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im just looking at a Supersoft water softener from Kinetico. In the brochure it says you can drink tea from the boiled water.

I was under the impression that due to the chemicals (sodium?) / salt needed to soften it, we shouldnt be drinking it. Am I mistaken?

Also is the Kinetico Supersoft+ a good machine? I have a fairly large property with 5+ bathrooms. Does £1600 inc vat sound about right for this machine? I was told its similar to or the same manufacturer as a Harvey?

Sponsored Links
What would you say is an average price for the size of machines I am looking for? Is Harvey actually made by the same company as Kinetico?

I don't know, but pretty well all brands are built up from standard components. The mechanism with the meter, timer, settings and valves is an assembly usually made by Fleck. If you look it up you will recognise it next time. Parts and replacements are readily available, and local suppliers can maintain them. IME it has been about 10 years between faults.

The other components are just a pressure cylinder, proprietary resin beads or crystals, graded sand, a salt bin, and a few hoses. My window cleaner assembled his own from parts.

If you see a cheaper brand with a different mechanism, satisfy yourself that replacements and parts or readily available, or resign yourself to binning it when it goes wrong.

A gallon of softened water contains less sodium (not salt) than a teaspoonful of ketchup or a slice or bread.

Sponsored Links
Harvey have their own production line. Although the owner started off fitting Kinetico here.

I'm not going to comment on price, partly because you haven't said if it is labour as well, and also there is not enough information to gauge which model we're dealing with.

I use a lot of water (circa 500 litres a day) and or standard Harvey unit is excellent and only gets topped up one a month or so. Better than our Tapworks unit it replaced. They use MUCH less water took regenerate too.

Harvey have their own production line. Although the owner started off fitting Kinetico here.

I'm not going to comment on price, partly because you haven't said if it is labour as well, and also there is not enough information to gauge which model we're dealing with.

I use a lot of water (circa 500 litres a day) and or standard Harvey unit is excellent and only gets topped up one a month or so. Better than our Tapworks unit it replaced. They use MUCH less water took regenerate too.

Curious to know how you use so much! The price I quoted was for supply only. I mentioned Kinetico Supersoft+ in the first post, is there more than one type?

Apologies. Forgot about that.

My wife cleans everything to ridiculous levels, plus we have VERY good showers.

The Harvey's standard block softener is cheaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back