Hot water but no heating??? please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all

I have a problem with my parents central heating,When the hot water is turned on at the timer clock the 3 port valve operates,pump runs and boiler fires up and the water gets hot.
If I press for central heating i hear the pump run for a nano second,the 3 port valve moves and sadly the boiler does not run.

Ive replaced the timer clock and the problem remains.

Ive looked at the wall thermostat and that clicks and apears to switch voltage.

Any one got any ideas? could the 3 port valve or stat still be faulty?

Sponsored Links
It could be due a few things. First you need to make sure the room stat is supplying 234v to the 'white' wire of the 3 port valve. This is responsible for driving the valve up to the mid point.
Secondly with HW and CH both off, you should have 230v on the 'grey' of the valve. This is responsible for taking the valve from mid point to CH position.
The most likely problem however will be the head of the valve. If the valve moves first to mid point then on to CH position and the boiler does not light then suspect the micro switch is faulty. If the valve does not move fully across then it could be either different micro switch or the motor. This is assuming the valve spindle is not stuck.

Hi guys thanks for the replys that gives me a few things to check with my meter!
its a landis 3 port valve,i do have a new honeywell 3 port valve,can I swap the heads over?

Thanks for your replys

Sponsored Links
Hi just fitted the honeywell valve but it has 6 wires? can anyone tell me where the light brown goes? it goes into the 3 port valve and ends up as a blue that conects to the actuator head?

My old valve had 5 wires....scratches head

Hi Paul yes it has 6 wires,IvE connected the white,the grey,the orange the blue and the earth just as the other valve was but it leaves me with a light brown with no place to go,it heads into the actuator on the 3 port valve?

sadly cant post photo tonight can you help?

why are you running two post on this issue ?

6 wire on a zone valve but not seen one on a 3 port.

Just desperatly looking for an answer sorry, Its a mid possition v4073 honeywell valve.

I understand there was an old V4073A 1005 valve with a relay plugged into one end which had 6 wires.

you were advised on your other thread.......

you bought a pup from ebay

you will have to purchase the correct valve from a reputable supplier ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back