Hot water / Central heating programmer problems.

right sorry, well the neutral of the wall stat must go to the neutral terminal of the programmer thats a must, i take it no-one has moved wires in the wall stat

Sponsored Links
just read post again, you know when you say upstairs working ok boiler not what do you mean both water and central heating are dependant on the boiler so what is actually happening

i wire up central heating systems all the time for plumbers in my area and i just realised from your post that if you have a three port valve it will require inputs.
1 ch on, water only goes around rads
2 hw on water only goes around tank in airing cupboard
3 ch and hw on valve goes to the mid position waters goes around both
usually when ch on only you need the hw off terminal wired in so it may have well been used before

I am really sorry I am getting a little confused still.

As far as I can see its a Y plan system.

The main questions I am trying to answer is just.

1. The kitchen boiler... should that only be switched live or permanant live on this Y plan system? As far as I can see it was switched live.

2. The thermostat in the living room.. are these supposed to be switched live or permanent live?

3. Why the HW switched live is on the OFF terminal.

If I can get my head arround these questions I should be ok :)

many thanks

Sponsored Links
What you have to do is scrap it and start again. Your problem is the normal expoerience we have. The y plan system was never wired up correctly in it's life.

Without boaring myself to death a quick scan of what you have revealed tells me so.

You must do the work from the wiring centre beside the mid position valve.

Follow the Honeywel Y plan procedure and all will be well.

Warning, you may not have sufficient wires at present, your pump may be fed from your boiler with an overrun control, your room stat may or may not require a neutral. Assuming your mid position valve (the crux of the whole system) is in good condition starting again is the solution.

Someone like us who is used to wiring these could probably fauilt find it but you don't stand an earthly from the understanding you have demonstarted so far. That is not said to offend but to assure you of what a mamoth task lies ahead. It would take me about 2hrs to sort, when I did my first one it took a day.

thanks for all the folks.. someone has helped me out with a PDF that shows my current system and explains the strange wiring.

:cool:

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back