hot water circuit

VSR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
dear all,

in my new home, hot water taps appear to come off a circuit through which hot water from the storage cylinder is continuously circulated. this has the advantage that even with the cylinder in the basement, a tap in the second floor gives hot water without a lot of cold water first. however, i think that constant circulation results in loss of a lot of heat from the constantly circulating water since none of the pipes are lagged. would it be OK to switch the pump off?
many thanks
VSR

Sponsored Links
You could but then you will waste the power used to heat the water which you leave in the pipes after turning a hot tap off. As well as the wasted water running the tap before the water runs hot!

The best thing you can do is to put the pump on a timer to only run it at the times you are likely to be using hot water like mornings and evenings.

Tony

you could put a pipe stat on the secondary return so that when its hot the stat switches off the pump.

Thats no good Mick!

She is concerned about the heat loss from the unlagged secondary circulation pipes!

Tony

Sponsored Links
With the cylinder in the basement your secondary return should work without a pump, try turning it off and see.

I would advise you to insulate your pipework.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back