Hot water cylinder only heating top half of tank

I gave someone advice while installing one of these, it circulates water by convection only, the Iboost was directed to this only, only problem was that the (integral) thermostat had to be set quite high and a pipestat also used, while its working pretty well, I feel it wouldnt be the way to go here and keep this setup as simple as possible.
The problem/challenge with Iboost is that its intermittent so so some level of heat must be maintained in the cylinder, one could just use the oil/gas coil (with ~ 30% of elec heating cost) to maintain the cylinder at 40C (boost it once/week to 60C for legionella protection) and just power the immersion with Iboost only, this should work well in the winter but in the summer with high solar panel output then perhaps all electric only with a destrat pump?. when using coil heating then its impossible to install a electric heating element below the top coil as it would foul the coil, easy if no heating coil as two elements are then frequently installed, the bottom one for nightrate elect heating at night, the other for boosting by day.

Sponsored Links
Update - our plumber has fitted us with a secondary return pump which allows the water to circulate within the tank allowing us to heat the whole 180 L with the solar iboost works well. With this great weather we haven't turned on the HW using the boiler for almost 2 months.

I don't divert at all since export prices of electricity is higher than gas prices so diversion makes no sense.

Sponsored Links
I don't divert at all since export prices of electricity is higher than gas prices so diversion makes no sense.
Thats all well and good if your on one if the original Fit schemes but I, along with a good many others, only get a few pence per Kwh so makes no sense to burn my oil from March till November

Yeah our was 5Kwh but now its 8-10Kwh when doing the whole tank. We don't sell our energy back as the scheme we are on - we basically get free solar panel and we can use as much solar we want whilst its being generated, anything left goes back to the grid and the company that gave us the solar panels makes profit off them.

I'm not on a Fit scheme the system was installed in 2022 and the export rate (around 34.31 peak to all day 21p) is available right now to anyone.

Last edited:
I'm not on a Fit scheme the system was installed in 2022 and the export rate (around 34.31 peak to all day 21p) is available right now to anyone.
Unfortunately not to anyone - Only people who have an MCS certified install.

Update - our plumber has fitted us with a secondary return pump which allows the water to circulate within the tank allowing us to heat the whole 180 L with the solar iboost works well. With this great weather we haven't turned on the HW using the boiler for almost 2 months.
Did they fit a bronze recirculating pump? Does it just power up on a timer? Good to hear its working well!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back