Hot water cylinder venting for first time in years- why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a gravity fed heating system, with a potterton boiler, cylinder in airing cupboard and tanks in the loft.

For the first time in years there has been a discharge from the hot water cylinder vent pipe (which didn't quite vent into the cold water header tank, which is how I know about it).

No settings for water temp have been changed.

My question is - what's the likely cause? - could it be extremely cold water feed into the cylinder causing more expansion than normal? Or is it something more sinister like the thermostat in the boiler not working and overheating the cylinder?

thanks

Matt

Sponsored Links
If the hw is on gravity circulation then its likely to be the boiler stat. Whats the actual temperature of the hot water?

Sorry My original post was slightly inaccurate. javascript:emoticon(':oops:') It's not gravity fed, it's an open vented system with a circulating pump.

The immersion isn't connected, but I'll check. The boiler thermostat is possible but in the past it's proved very oversensitive and has had a tendency to cut out at the slightest provocation I'll check the water temp.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
is water coming from the vent in the small or big tank?

It's venting from the HW cylinder into the large cold water tank, not the heating circuit venting into the heating header tank.

How much water is coming out of the vent-pipe? Is it a drip or a half decent flow?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back