Hot water cylinders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into a house that currently has a Combi Worcester 28i Junior. A friend of mine recommended a Oso hot water cylinder system, 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom house with 2 young children. His experience great with showers etc.

Currently I just have a combi, no water tank, direct from water mains. I'm installing a new bathroom, would anyone recommend a Oso hot water cylinder.

What are the advantages if I spend this money.

cheers

Sponsored Links
Your boiler is a bit pants.

The OSO cylinders are excellent.

Some prefer combi's due to the smaller installation footprint.

Others prefer the higher flow rates and immersion heater backup.

As an installer I would talk you through the pro's and cons based on your property and lifestyle.

I suggest you have a read of the myriad of identical threads already posted on the subject and post back with some questions specific to your circumstances.

Cylinders are more expensive to install though.

how many showers and bathrooms will you have when finished?

how many people will live in the house?

how old is the house? Can you see what colour the incoming water main is, and its diameter?

You can of course install a hot water cylinder to your existing combi boiler and keep the combi hot water for eg the kitchen tap for cooking purposes.

If the mains water isn't up to unvented you can use a vented cylinder for bath filling and the combi hot water for a mains pressure shower.

Sponsored Links
how many showers and bathrooms will you have when finished?

how many people will live in the house?

how old is the house? Can you see what colour the incoming water main is, and its diameter?

1 shower
1 bathroom
1920's
Can't see the colour of incoming water main unfortunately
2 adults and 2 children

a 1920's house might still have the old incoming water pipe (though by now leaking) and poor flow.

You will need a good flow to supply shower and bathroom at the same time. A small combi won't cope.

a 1920's house might still have the old incoming water pipe (though by now leaking) and poor flow.

You will need a good flow to supply shower and bathroom at the same time.

ok, so would you suggest a Oso or megaflo with a new boiler. How much approx are we looking at you think

if you go for an unvented cylinder, you may also need to run a new water supply pipe all the way to the pavement. This might cost a couple of £hundred, orf a lot more, depending on route and difficulty of digging a trench.

Or you could have a cold water tank and vented cylinder, though many people would consider this old-fashioned.

You can heat a cylinder using your existing boiler, with some extra pipes and valves.

if you go for an unvented cylinder, you may also need to run a new water supply pipe all the way to the pavement. This might cost a couple of £hundred, orf a lot more, depending on route and difficulty of digging a trench.

Or you could have a cold water tank and vented cylinder, though many people would consider this old-fashioned.

You can heat a cylinder using your existing boiler, with some extra pipes and valves.

ok, thanks I'll get my local plumber to assess things and will ask him some of these questions

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back