Combi-boiler - adding hot water cylinder and back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We currently have a Worcester Greenstar CDI 24 combi boiler.

We recently had an extension and added an en-suite, so may have two showers running at the same time. The company that fitted the boiler are confident that the Worcester boiler will be able to heat enough water for both bathrooms. I suspect it might struggle (it also has to centrally heat a house that has just doubled in size).

Is it feasible to add a hot water cylinder? If so, water from the cylinder could guarantee the morning showers.

Eventually we'd like to add a wood burning stove. If we had a hot water cylinder, I assume we could use a back boiler on the stove to heat the water in the cylinder whenever the stove was burning?

Hopefully I can avoid the expense of swapping the combi for something that can store water in a tank.

thanks

Sponsored Links
The combi can heat a cylinder.

If the cylinder is specified for the purpose then it can also be heated by a stove. That does need VERY careful design if the cylinder is unvented and I would normally say its not worth the bother.

Tony

Absolutely no chance at all of it running 2 showers as it is. Even a 40kw combi struggles unless the showers have flow restrictors. It can definitely heat a cylinder though, in this case it will act just like a system boiler but with some taps run from the combi side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back