Hot water feed (required route of pipe from cylinder) (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I haven't been able to find an answer to this, apologies if it's been covered somewhere else.

I want to know are there height rules around what route the hot water feed pipe takes from the top of a copper hot tank to a tap.

I have a single storey cottage. The hot cylinders top will be at about ceiling height. Ideally I'd run the hot feed pipe up into the ceiling, along through the house and then drop down to the bathroom and kitchen sink. Are there any issues around this plan?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Possible air locking unless you have an expansion pipe at the top of the vertical pipe run that drops in to your header tank, I assume your header tank is in the loft.

No, provided Cold Storage Cistern feeding Cylinder is at a sensible height above the cylinder, and hot draw off from cylinder is vented correctly/
What would be a 'sensible height'. I am stuck for room above the cylinder.

Sponsored Links
You'll need to think that through, if it's a single storey cottage and there won't be much height above the cylinder to put a Cold Water Storage Cistern then, as suggested, the Hot water pressure is going to be really lousy. How is the cold mains, do you have good mains pressure and flow?

Head wise you have what you have but I would not like less than 2.5 - 3m between the TWL in the header tank and outlet of your hot tap(s)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back