hot water in hot water header tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed that the water in the hot water header tank is getting hot. The hot water is entering the tank through the overflow. This only occurs when the central heating and the hot water are on together. The system is pumped, with one pump and two motorised valves. A while ago a plumber told me that this could be cured with an anti surge (?) valve . If this is the case what is it and where should I put it? (be gentle its my first time)

Sponsored Links
has it always done this, or started recently?

What speed is the pump set to?

Can you post a pic of the pipes around the pump please.

I also suggest you rush to the DIY shed or plumber's merchant in the morning and invest £15 in a litre of Sentinel x400.

An open system like yours very frequently gets sediment causing partial or compete blockages. cleaning it out will do nothing but good.

The water pumping over will introduce dissolved air into the water which will speed up corrosion inside the system

It has as far as i can remember always done this, although it does appear to be getting worse.
The pump is set to the mid position (2 out of 3)
The pump was replaced about 3 years ago after the one fitted by BG seized solid after a whole 2 years service.
Cheers for your advice ,I will shoot off and invest in some sentinal x400
I'll post pics as soon as i can
Thinking back, the plumber actually told me what the symptoms of the fault were after looking at the system, I didn't mention it to him and the heating was shut down at the time ( dead pump) so he hadn't seen the problem.

turn the pump down to speed 1, see if the rads continue to get hot. This will reduce the flow and may reduced the pumping over.

it is usually caused either by poor piping design, or a partial blockage (perhaps both). the photos will show us the pipe layout.

the old pump probably got clogged with corrosion sediment. Corrosion will have been made worse by the pumping over.

Also, adjust the ball valve in the F&E tank so the level is only a couple of inches below the feed pipe near the bottom. Bale out any mud from the bottom.

How high is the bend in the vent pipe above the F&E tank? A picture of that may also help.

Sponsored Links
turning the pump down to 1 does reduce the overflow, and the rads appear to remain hot ( have to leave it a while to be sure )
I'll adjust the ball valve level tomorrow as the missus seems to think that this is a bit late to be fiddling with the central heating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back