Hot water not staying hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday afternoon my mother noticed a problem with her hot water - it wasn't hot, it was stone cold. Soon after that the boiler came on and the heating and hot water were fine (note: whenever her boiler comes on the heating and hot water heat simultaneously - it's one of those boilers where you can't ONLY turn on the heating (manually or via the timer) instead you need to turn on the hot water first THEN the heating a split second later)).

All was well this morning, but she's been out during the day and came back in to find the hot water is stone cold again.

This is not normal - there is usually some hot water left in the tank and, as mentioned, this only started yesterday.

I can't check it myself as I live a few hours drive away.

No taps are on or dripping, there's apparently no sign of any damp patches on the ceiling.

My gut instinct says it's perhaps a leak underneath the floor somewhere (she lives in a house with a ground and upper floor, plus an attic). But she hasn't had any really really hard frosts in her area (unlike some) and even if she had I can't imagine pipes with warm water in them freezing that easily.

But what else could it be? It's rather worrying.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
so its gravity hot water, pumped heating? or is there a valve on one of the pipes entering the cylinder?

so its gravity hot water, pumped heating? or is there a valve on one of the pipes entering the cylinder?

Oh boy, I can't really remember. I THINK there is a red wheel valve on one of the large pipes going into the gas-fired boiler (which is downstairs), but I'm not 100% certain.

Unfortunately I can't check it myself, and if I phoned and asked my mother she'd probably look at the wrong part. :)

can you remember what boiler she has? i.e back boiler, floor standing, wall hung has it been changed and the system upgraded recently? or is it the same boiler shes got since you were a lad! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
can you remember what boiler she has? i.e back boiler, floor standing, wall hung has it been changed and the system upgraded recently? or is it the same boiler shes got since you were a lad! :LOL:

It's floor standing, I know that much.

When my parents moved into the house in the early 80s it was a newly installed oil fired boiler, but my late father switched to gas sometime within the past ten years so i'm assuming that part (or all) of the boiler was replaced then. i have no idea of the make or model I'm afraid to say.

I hope that helps. :)

I just hope it's not a leak somewhere!

bit in the dark here, but lets rule out a leak, as youve not mentioned that she can here the ball valve in the loft running all the time, just the fact that the "hot" water is not hot. lets say its been changed to a fully pumped system in the last 10 years, and there is some control to the hot water. then if there is, first port of call could be to find out if shes got any motorised valves near her hot water tank, either a 3 port valve or possibly two 2 port valves, cylinder thermostat etc

bit in the dark here, but lets rule out a leak, as youve not mentioned that she can here the ball valve in the loft running all the time, just the fact that the "hot" water is not hot.

To be honest her hearing isn't perfect (but it's not terrible) and I'm wondering if she would notice the ball valve going in the loft. Or if she did she might not read anything into it.

lets say its been changed to a fully pumped system in the last 10 years, and there is some control to the hot water. then if there is, first port of call could be to find out if shes got any motorised valves near her hot water tank, either a 3 port valve or possibly two 2 port valves, cylinder thermostat etc

Fair enough, sounds like I'll need to get the plumber in. Ah well, more money, more problems.

Many thanks for your help.

Plumber has now been and found the fault - a fast dripping tap in the bath which my mother hadn't noticed. It was supposedly losing about a pint of water every few minutes, so that would account for the problem (I hope!).

Thanks for your help. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back