Hot water not working but heating is

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can you help me with this! If anyone ever needs cellular advice then I would be willing to reciprocate!!! :)javascript:emoticon(':LOL:')
Laughing

1) Boiler make / model (gas or oil)
Gas Vaillant combi boiler

2) What is / is not happening.
Heating is working fine, when the boiler kicks in to heat the house you can get hot water. When it gets the house to an ambient temp the boiler then turns off. Before i used to turn on a hot tap and the boiler would fire into action. This no longer happens

3) Has ANYTHING else been done or changed recently.
YES! I had a bathroom fitted and the plank connected the toilet to the hot water supply. He came round took a tile off, swapped the pipes round. Since then we have had no hot water.

4) When did the problem start?
As above

5) When does it happen? eg, heating coming on or going off.
I think I have covered that above but please ask me anything

6) Anything else you feel may be of relevance.
The owner of the firm said that what his plumber/bathroom fitter did would have NO impact on the boiler and that I would have to get it repaired. I am a firm believe in cause and effect. Am I wrong?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
1) Boiler make / model (gas or oil)
Gas Vaillant combi boiler

The owner of the firm said that what his plumber/bathroom fitter did would have NO impact on the boiler and that I would have to get it repaired. I am a firm believe in cause and effect. Am I wrong?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

That means what it says the Make and the Model of the boiler! We know its a Vaillant but they have made about 200 different boilers over the years.

The firm that sent the "plank" ( whats that? ) did not do anything that affected your boiler.

It sounds as if the diverter valve has failed. How easy it is to fix will depend on which model it is.

Tony

I thought you might say that, I did spend a long time looking for the manual and around the boiler for a model number, do you think you would be able to identify it from a picture? I have attached one in case!

The reason I asked is that we had a hot flushing toilet for a number of weeks. As soon as he switched it over the hot water stopped?

Many many thanks for your help.

Thats what I call a Vaillant 824 ( or 828 ).

The diverter valves very often fail. If yours has failed in the CH position then its easy to diagnose because with CH off and rads cold, if you turn on a hot tap the boiler will fire up and heat up the rads leaving the water stone cold.

Of course the "plank" sounds as if he is pretty thick and may well have done something wrong.

If the test above finds that fault then its nothing to do with the plank and just needs a boiler engineer to fix. We charge about £194 in London.

If not, then tell the firm that you will be calling a boiler engineer and if he finds the plumbing has been wrongly connected then you will be looking to them to meet the cost !

Tony

Sponsored Links
Tony, you are a gent.

I have turned the CH off at the termostat and when I turn on a hot tap I get nothing. The only time I can get hot water is if I throw the termostat right up, causing the bolier to fire, then warm water starts to pipe through.

In your expert opinion what do you think?

I have told "plank" to come back today and connect the system up as it was, with the toilet connected to the hot water, at least this way I can prove to him that it is his fault not a fault of the boiler.

Any more suggestions please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back