Hot water ok , Central heating not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Valiant EcoTec plus 831 boiler (located upstairs).
Boss Therm BPS242RF thermostat (located downstairs)
Receiver for the thermostat is a BR1 (Think it is Siemens)

The thermostat is either set to Night time or Day time, never the timer.
The thermostat is showing a low temperature in the hall and the UP sign that shows it is requesting the CH (central heating) to come on
The receiver is showing GREEN and AMBER lights on (this means power , connected to transmitter and received the request to fire CH)
However the boiler does not fire up for the CH to come on.
If you turn any hot tap in the house the boiler will come on and provide hot water.

This seems to be an intermittent issue. I had a boiler man check the boiler but as is the way it fired up and worked 30 minutes before he arrived!

The thermostat and receiver are getting on and are no longer available. Looking to replace with EPH CP4 as this should do what we need.

The pressure is showing as 1.7 bar and in the green.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Cant see a pump or valve external to the boiler. I think being a combi boiler it has not got one of those three way valves that used to stick on previous systems I have had with hot water tanks.

is the boiler display showing the rad symbol when heating requested ?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
is the boiler display showing the rad symbol when heating requested ?

No,

Additionally when you turn the hot water you can here and see the boiler fire up.
When you ask for CH there is no change. You do see the orange light on the BR1 ( this shows the request for CH to come on)

I feel like there is something wrong with the receiver but as it is £60 for thermostat and receiver I want to make sure

Had this before, especially with the receiver you mention. Sounds like it’s intermittently sending switch live back, even though it’s lighting orange. Have you tried good quality batteries in the thermostat too? Do you have any test equipment? Yes they were made by Siemens and you can link up the handset and receiver if you can get a new receiver, or just go for the EPH.

What happens if you move the room stat closer to the receiver?
Nothing changes

If you turn the thermostat temperature down so Room temp is 15 degrees and set the temperature required to 10 degrees you see the porange light go off
If you turn the temperature required above room temp then the orange light on the receiver goes on

What happens if you move the room stat closer to the receiver?
Had this before, especially with the receiver you mention. Sounds like it’s intermittently sending switch live back, even though it’s lighting orange. Have you tried good quality batteries in the thermostat too? Do you have any test equipment? Yes they were made by Siemens and you can link up the handset and receiver if you can get a new receiver, or just go for the EPH.

I have the reset procedure for the BR1 next to the BR1. I have reset it and used the test button on the back of the thermostat and it all seemed good (as in what the instructions said would happen did).

However the reset left the system as before i.e orange light on for requesting demand for GH but CH not firing

• Thanks
Does the SET button on the BR1 turn the central heating on manually regardless of thermostat?

Can you bypass the BR1 unit and get the heating to come on ? If so it would suggest a faulty BR1 unit

Does the SET button on the BR1 turn the central heating on manually regardless of thermostat?
No, they were only added on later models and clearly identified as override.

Can you bypass the BR1 unit and get the heating to come on ? If so it would suggest a faulty BR1 unit

I cant see a way to bypass the BR1. Or perhaps I should say that I dont think my DIY level is up to that. I do suspect it may be faulty and am looking at replacing it with a EPH CP4

EPH CP4 on Amazon

I did discuss this with the heating guy that services the boiler, He suggested it could be done easily and the BR1 is quite old.

Managed to enter service mode by pressing - & + together and getting SF.5 showing

Service Mode did get some heat into the radiator. But nothing changed when I reset the boiler it just went back to as before
No radiator sign on the boiler to show it is firing the central heating

Do you have a time clock? If yes, join (safely by isolating power 1st) the Lx and L1 at the Siemens receiver, power back on and heating should come on and control with time clock

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back