Hot water stops working overnight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have an Ideal Mini 25 combi boiler, and have had no problems over the winter while the heating and hot water have both been on.

Now, when we switch it to hot water only, it is fine for a while, but then overnight it seems to stop working. In the morning there is no hot water (boiler doesn't fire when you turn the tap on).

In order to get it working again we have to switch it back to heating, wait for the boiler to fire up, then switch it back to water, and from then it is fine for a while.

We thought at first that it only did it overnight because that was the longest it went without being used, but we are out during the day as well, and I don't ever remember having problems when I get home from work in the evening. It only seems to do it overnight - most mornings, if the heating has been switched off the previous day, there will be no hot water.

The radiators have all been bled, and the pressure seems OK. Boiler is located in an outside cupboard.

My first thought after reading this forum was the diverter, but it seems weird that it only does it overnight. Some kind of weird frost protection??? (But it's not that cold anymore!)

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think you may have an Ideal Mini 24 ???

The problem you describe has no immediately obvious cause but a competent boiler engineer would first use the built in diagnostic facility to see what the boiler thinks is wrong with itself and then would check the parts associated with that failed function.

Its not likely to anything very serious in my terms!

Tony

Hi

Yes, indeed, I did mean 24. Sorry about that.

Thanks for your reply - I really just wanted to have some idea of what could be the cause before I rang the engineer and just said 'my boiler won't work properly, help!'.

Becky.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back