Hot water temperature - is this too hot?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the weather has got colder, I’ve noticed that the shower wasn’t quite as warm. I measured the temperature at the tap and it was 47°. I’ve turned it up a bit on the tank stat and it’s fine now, however, the water coming out of the tap now feels scalding hot. I measured it and it’s now 55.8°. Is that too hot for tap water?

IMG_0735.jpeg

Sponsored Links
In what way too hot? Safety issue or worried it will cause damage?

Sponsored Links
Depends, normally stored hot water (HW) is kept @ ~60Deg, which usually equates to 50-55deg @ the tap, pipe run/insulation dependent. So your outlet temp isn't too high pre sé. It won't cause damage and as long as everyone is aware and/or it runs through monobloc mixer then the risk is normally reduced. If there are separate taps then again it's an communication issue with everyone that may use it, just to be careful of the hot tap.

Certain outlets would now be controlled by a Thermostatic Mixing Valve (TMV2/3), therefore reducing the outflow temps to ~40deg. This would normally be fitted to a bath but it can also be fitted to the HW outlet on the HW store so all the HW is delivered at a lower temp @ the outlet.

The former is a building regs standard now on new systems to reduce the risk of scalding, with the focus on the elderly and the young.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back