Hot water venting into cold water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help required

I have started getting hot water venting water into my cold water tank in my loft. Because of this it is overflowing. I have recently had two jobs carried out (1) New overheat thermostat on my boiler (2) New mixer tap in kitchen. The temp of the rads seem hotter then have been. My HW cylinder is set at 55 degrees and I have a profile prima boiler that is set in 2. Has anyone any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Do you mean water is coming out of the vent pipe that hangs over your cold water tank?

Or do you just mean the water level is rising and reaching the overflow outlet?

is it the large tank or the small tank?

Close both the service valves on your new mixer tap. What happens?

Sponsored Links
I turned off the hot and cold water to the new mixer and water was still venting. The water venting is hot enough to create steam in the loft.

It's curious that water is coming from the vent pipe over the large tank. Is there a vent pipe over the small tank as well?

Is the vented water pure or dirty?

Is the boiler making unusual noises?

I have turned off hot water because tank overflows. When on hot water is hotter then usual.

It sounds like your boiler is overheating. You say the boiler overheat stat was recently changed. That appears not to have done the trick. Perhaps there is a wiring problem. The overheat stat should only come into play if the operating temperature control is faulty. What do you know about the qualifications and experience of the person who did the repair?

It is odd that it is venting into the large tank. Is the vented water pure or dirty? This is important

Is there a vent pipe hanging over the small tank? Or are there two vent pipes hanging over the large tank?

Hot water venting into the loft is dangerous, so you must turn your boiler off until the fault has been rectified.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back