Hot Water Warm not Hot - Unvented / pressurised cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

For the last 3 days the hot water is just warm not piping hot like it used to be, we shower with the temperature control completely to the max and still just warmish water comes out.

Any ideas what could be wrong ? System was put in 3 years ago with a pressurised cylinder (Elson Zircon (Baxi) the kind with a separate expansion), something I can do to resolve ?

Many Thanks in Advance

Sponsored Links
Are your other hot outlets OK, IE is it just the shower that isn't giving out hot water?

As above post code be faulty thermostat in shower,or cylinder stat also check temp on flow and return pipes going in&out of cylinder,make sure no one has adjusted boiler output good luck

Sponsored Links
Most likely to be an issue with the cylinder thermostat then. This can be tested with a multimeter if you're any good with electrics.....

I would be keeping an open mind as to the cause!

Seems everything needs to be checked and particularly temperatures around the system.

Based on what has been stated then it seems a professional assessment may be required.

Tony

Most likely to be an issue with the cylinder thermostat then. This can be tested with a multimeter if you're any good with electrics.....

Is that not integrated/ attached to the unvented cylinder? The cylinder is 2.5 years old would it not be covered under warranty?

If not what would I be looking at for supply and fit? Any ideas?

Many Thanks for your help.

May get a radiator replaced at the same time from a double to single same dimensions 140 x 60, any ideas of the labour cost of that would also be helpful ( in addition to above post). Many Thanks

Is that not integrated/ attached to the unvented cylinder? The cylinder is 2.5 years old would it not be covered under warranty?

Yes, it is part of the cylinder. Whether it's covered under warranty depends on a couple of things. The first of these is whether you've had the cylinder serviced annually. If you haven't, then the warranty will be void. If you have, then you need to investigate the length of the warranty your cylinder manufacturer has applied to attached components. This will most likely be between one and five years. Prices to supply and fit will also depend on the manufacturer and local labour charges - there are no national labour charges for plumbing & heating works. I charge £35+vat per hour but that doesn't mean that your local engineer will charge the same amount.

May get a radiator replaced at the same time from a double to single same dimensions 140 x 60, any ideas of the labour cost of that would also be helpful ( in addition to above post). Many Thanks

They are completely different tasks and require different skills so little point in linking the two. Although any one with fault finding skills can fit rads but not the other way round.

Also a difference between asking them to source and bring the replacement rad or you getting it ready and on site.

Work involved depends on if its the same make and if its exactly the same size or not.

Tony

I have noticed that when I switch the electric plug off and on at the wall socket next to the cylinder, the water heats correctly the next day. Does this signify anything ? is this resetting something which is not doing it automatically ?

I believe the wall socket electric cable runs to the centre of the cylinder under a cover where if you took it off you can set the water temperature from 1 to 5 for the bolier and immersion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back