hotmail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Yesterday my mum was complaining that she couldn't access her Hotmail account. Insisting that she was using the correct password.

I assumed that perhaps it had been hacked. This seemed more likely when I noticed that in IE on her PC it was asking what her mother's birthplace was as the security question yet on her Ipad browser a second later it was asking what her first car was and suggested that her mobile phone ended in the wrong digits.

Attempts to send a reactivation code were fruitless as it had an old email address tagged to the Hotmail account.

I noticed that the ipad email app doesn't allow you to see the password but after setting the view option from the "last 3 days" to "forever" resulted in a flood of earlier emails. In other words the password on the email app was correct.

Armed with this knowledge I was able to gain access by guessing the password. She was having a senior moment...

I have since added her PC as a trusted device and deleted the old out of date email address, replacing it with mine.

Never-the-less I cannot understand why the security options (questions and phone number) changed from birthplace to car, even though they were correct in the actual settings?

Sponsored Links
Been a LOT of problems with hotmail recently, I had my contact list hacked, I suspect it's something to do with the change over to outlook.

Sponsored Links
Back