HotPoint Aquarius 1000 - Wm62

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a problem with an HotPoint Wm62 washing machine. It stops mid cycle in the rinse area (middle of green bars) on all programmes. The only way to get it started again is by manually moving the dial one notch or two forward. It appears to spin ok at the end of the programs. I checked the brushes, the water hoses and the door lock and they are all fine. Also changed the pcb but the problem still persists. Can anyone help me fix this problem? Thank you. Tony.

Sponsored Links
Hi rocks1,

Thank you for your email. My machine does not have a rinse hold button or otherwise, as far as I know. Any other suggestions? Regards, Tony.

Hi

I have a problem with an HotPoint Wm62 washing machine. It stops mid cycle in the rinse area (middle of green bars) on all programmes. The only way to get it started again is by manually moving the dial one notch or two forward. It appears to spin ok at the end of the programs. I checked the brushes, the water hoses and the door lock and they are all fine. Also changed the pcb but the problem still persists. Can anyone help me fix this problem? Thank you. Tony.[/quote]

Check for any open circuit water inlet valve solenoids.

Sponsored Links
HI, I've been looking at Tony's machine with him.

The solenoids appear to work as the the machine fills. But, when the machine is stuck, there is 240v going to the solenoids, but they do not open. I filled the machine with a hose through the soap dispenser draw and it started running again, once the water level was almost up to the door.

There is a what looks like a pressure switch, mounted on the inside of the front panel just next tot he programmer/pcb. Could it be that this is at fault and is somehow preventing the solenoids from operating (by interrupting the neutral for example?, because there is 240V getting to the solenoids but they are not opening at this point in the cycle) I did connect the solenoid neutral directly to the incoming neutral so see if I could test this theory, but the solenoids still didn't open.

When you say they are getting 240 volts do you mean that a neon screwdriver lights up? Such screwdrivers are a waste of time when tracing appliance faults unless you know for certain that it is the live being switched. The safe way is to do resistance checks on the solenoids with the machine unplugged, they should be around 3000 to 4000 ohms.

I measured the voltage with a voltmeter, but I didn't check the coil resistance. I think the solenoids are ok, because they operate to allow the machine to fill when it begins the program and it always the cycle always stops at the same point, at the beginning of the rinse cycle.

When u put it on rinse prog does it fill with water.

HI, I've been looking at Tony's machine with him.

There is a what looks like a pressure switch, mounted on the inside of the front panel just next tot he programmer/pcb. Could it be that this is at fault and is somehow preventing the solenoids from operating (by interrupting the neutral for example?, because there is 240V getting to the solenoids but they are not opening at this point in the cycle) I did connect the solenoid neutral directly to the incoming neutral so see if I could test this theory, but the solenoids still didn't open.

If they were being interrupted by the pressure switch you would not be reading 240 volts. :rolleyes:

Rocks,

No it doesn't fill when it gets to the start of the rinse cycle. I filled it using a hose into the soap draw and then it started going again.

What I don't understand is that the solenoids are getting 240v but not opening, but they do open at the start of the program when the machine initially fills.

Might it be that one of the solenoids is not working? so that it will fill initially, but it uses the other solenoid to fill for the rinse?

In that case the solenoid is open curcuit. Just swap it with the hot valve they just pull off.

In that case the solenoid is open curcuit. Just swap it with the hot valve they just pull off.

Hi Rocks, Fidom & Mark

Thank you for all your help. The washing machine is now fixed and working fine again. The problem was the cold water solenoid which was replaced. Regards, Tony.

Thanks every one, especially Fidom for his razor sharp diagnosis.

This one turned into a bit of a saga. In the process of of trying to test the solenoid, I pulled off one of the solenoid connectors while it was still live and shorted it out to the neutral on one of the connectors.

This blew some tracks on the pcb/control unit which we spotted! Put the old PCB unit back in which we had unneccesarily replaced and same problem remained.

Replaced water inlet valves and door switch while we were at it and still no joy.

Turned out the short had burned one of the contacts in one of the edge connnector plugs that connect to the PCB. After bending that, so that it made contact with the PCB, all was well.

Lesson learned.. I'm too blase about working on appliances when they are live. Sometimes you have to.

Interesting learning experience though. I now a lot more about a WM62 than did.

Thanks for your help with this guys.

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back