Hotpoint Aquarius 1000 WM62 problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Our Hotpoint Aquarius WM62 washing machine has developed a bit of a problem today. It stopped mid-cycle, full of water and resolutely refuses to budge. The programme control knob that rotates clockwise just stuck and the machine stayes silent. I can move the knob manually to get the machine to drain and get it to fill with water, the only thing it refuses to do at any position is spin the drum.

After reading this forum and many of the posts I replaced the door interlock switch 6 months ago when the machine failed to start at all on one occasion and the door lock light wouldn't illuminate. After replacement, the machine has been fine until today. I have had the control unit out and checked the pcb for blown tracks, but all seem okay (I assume a blown track would be very obvious to spot and not easy to overlook??!!) I have also had the machine running with the top off, and after it has filled with water and refuses to spin, the control unit tends to make lots of clicks and noises and I can see a purple cog inside the metal body of the control unit turning clockwise constantly without seeming to trigger any further action.

My very limited knowledge of this kind of thing would point me to either the control unit somehow being faulty, a wiring fault between the control unit and the motor or a faulty motor. My question to all you more knowledgable folk out there is how would you proceed to diagnose any of the above from here?

I would be very grateful for any tips.

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Motor brushes worn just unclip and look at them.

Got the brushes out, carbon spring-loaded type in a plastic housing that pushes and clips into the side of the motor, but I'm not sure exactly what I am looking for. At the full extension of the spring, the end of the brush is probably extended about 5mm beyond the end of the housing allowing for the angle. Loads of carbon dust knocking around though, obviously.

Would the end of the brush be extending much further out than 5mm on a new part?

Sponsored Links
Bought some new brushes this morning and popped them in, machine is now working a treat again. Thanks very much for your help - posts on this forum must be saving people a small fortune and helping save the planet in some small way also - just imagine the number of serviceable machines that are still running rather than being tossed down the scrappers and replaced by needlessly-bought new ones by owners scared of being hit by whopping call-out charges and repair bills. The very best form of recycling in action - repair and re-use rather than write-off and replace. Sermon over! Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back