Hotpoint Aquarius A344

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Daughters machine and when she moved into a new house the supply taps were those 'plunge/pierce' type. Flow rate was abysmal and machine would not function properly. In her previous house they were the 'proper' taps and she had no problems. I fitted 2off 15mmx15mmx¾" Tee fittings and the flow rate has greatly improved and machine functions correctly. However, it seems that once the cycle has started the 'solenoids' don't switch the water flow off fully. After the programme has finished, (Usually late at night), she gets up the following morning to find the machine half full of water and her floor flooded. Is it the solenoids, the pressure switch or a PCB problem?
Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I had this with my Aquarious machine when first installed....the water pressure was too much for the 'inhibitors', that are fitted to the machine..and had to be replaced..set the input taps at half, and replace the inhibitors.

Inlet valves are failsafe closed. If the machine is filling with "clean water" overnight then the valve isn't closing properly.
Regarding water pressure requirements; most manufacturers recommend minimum 1bar and max 10bar. As long as you are within that band then you should be ok.

Thanks lads, wil try the half-closed method and see if it works.
With regards to the inhibitors, where are they and what do they look like?
Sorry to be so ignorant, I'm an industrial motor man by trade not domestic stuff.

Sponsored Links
Thanks lads, wil try the half-closed method and see if it works.
With regards to the inhibitors, where are they and what do they look like?
Sorry to be so ignorant, I'm an industrial motor man by trade not domestic stuff.

The inhibitors are little plastic filters fitted where you connect the pipes of the machine to the domestic water supply, little plastic things? I'm no expert, and I didn't replace them, so anyone feel free to correct me.

Similar to the plastic inserts on my taps, to ensure the tap won't drip, but obviously not everyone has those, but if you came across them? They look similar to a fan, but solid, don't rotate, in the pipes. Err..hard to explain..

i have read that a lack of water pressure can prevent the valves from closing fully. try taking out the pressure reducing washer perhaps?
im no expert though.

i have read that a lack of water pressure can prevent the valves from closing fully. try taking out the pressure reducing washer perhaps?
im no expert though.

Sorry, reread, excess pressure, by using a combi boiler, and direct water pressure, destroys the valves, and makes the problem worse. Removing them is bad.

you shouldnt have a low water pressure problem if your direct water pressure is enough to require a pressure restricting washer.

Tried the 'taps half on' method and its working a treat now.
Thanks lads.

Tried the 'taps half on' method and its working a treat now.
Thanks lads.

Taps half on, AND restrictors also are required, I believe? The water pressure at max is sorted, by turning the taps to half, but maybe the restrictor is there to break up hard water deposits, thus preventing limescale? Even though I live in a soft water area, I still get build up of limescale, so as it's working, leave alone, but be aware of the potential future issue. restrictors can't cost more than £1, and must be easy to fit. But if it works..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back