Hotpoint Aquarius WD420 - Lights flashing and thumping sound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday, after a normal 40 min wash, I put 4 items back in the machine and set the machine to dry. When I got home from work and opened the machine, water gushed out and the clothes were soaked (no lights were flashing at this moment) then when I set the machine to rinse and spin the clothes again it couldn't seem to finish the cycle. It made a loud and aggressive thumping/banging sound, as if it were trying to drain the water or fill up with water. Anyway, the machine completely stopped, unlocked and the second button down and on/off button started flashing fast. When I opened the door, it was half full of water.

Does anyone know what the problem might be and how I could fix it? I'm thinking of giving it a go myself to save the cost of repair or a new one if possible.

Would be very grateful for any suggestions as I'm female and genuinely haven't got a clue where to begin with something like this. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Have you cleaned the filter. Remove rear white lower cover then u will see a large black cup with a jubilee clip round it undo and clean filter.

Thanks rocks1. It turned out that the filter was absolutely fine and the problem was under the sink, where the drainage pipe goes, got clogged up so the water couldn't drain, hence the aggressive thumping sound. All clear now and working a treat.

Thanks again :D

Sponsored Links
Just fixed à flashing light prob.filter was clogged with 30p in coppers and 5s,2 hair clips and approx 6 miles of ladies hair.thé error code implied there was à faulty part.9 times out of 10 its prob à blockage,so check your pipes and empty your pockets!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back