Hotpoint FDW20 -tripping RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Hotpoint FDW20 developed the two flashing lights indicating a water heating fault. I drained the unit, isolated it from mains, popped the bottom off and stuck my meter across the terminals of the heater unit and sure enough, the element had gone open circuit. "piece of cake" I thought, ordered a new heater for a shade under £30 and also some appropriately sized jubilee clips to secure the hoses in place on the heater, as the factory fit items were clearly one-time-use items.

Parts arrived, checked and fitted without drama, fired it up and everything began well. Unfortunately, when the unit hits the part of the cycle I assume is the heater operation, it trips the RCD (not MCD) so I presume this is an earth fault somewhere.

Disconnecting the heater results in a reversion to the two flashing light warning again, as you would expect. Running with the bottom off, there are no leaks and nothing appears damp.

The control PCB looks fine, no sign of water ingress or dry solder joints. If I narrow it down to a control PCB problem then I will remove it and do some board level fault finding.

Does anyone have any advice that might help me going forward? I feel as if I'm missing something obvious that I should have checked but can't quite figure it out.

I'm also having trouble tracking down a service manual for this model. Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back