Hotpoint tumble drier sounds like a coffee machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
---------EDIT-------- sorry it is a Hoover drier, not a Hotpoint...

Hi all,

We have a brand new Hotpoint condensing tumble drier. Today is the first time we have used it.

Every now and then it starts making a loud clicking type noise. It almost sounds like the type of compressor used in coffee espresso machines.

If I open the door and close it, the noise stops immediately, however, seemingly at random, it starts again later.

Is this normal?

Here is a video of it

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Condensing dryers do contain a compressor so you will hear a 'fridge' sound when it's running. Yours does sound a bit on the loud side but it may be normal.

Condensing dryers do contain a compressor so you will hear a 'fridge' sound when it's running. Yours does sound a bit on the loud side but it may be normal.

This is way louder than a fridge.

I have just downloaded a decibel app and when standing 1m away it registers 73db. When i open and close the door, the level drops down to 67db which is the figure quoted by Hoover.

When running at 67db I cannot hear it over the telly in the lounge. The telly volume is normally set 40. The noisy mode just kicked in, as a non scientific test, I could still hear it with the telly set to 58. If I went any higher my neighbours would kick my door in...

Sponsored Links
What's the model number, is it defo a heat pump condensor drier or just a condensor drier. Either way it shouldn't sound like that.

You need to return it. Does it say on the label inside the door what country it was made in out of interest.

The otherhalf forwarded the video to AO.com and they agreed it was faulty. It is going to be replaced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back