Hotpoint washing machine tucked me up!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys here is the story

Please read as it would probably effect everyone who is capable of changing drum/tub bearings
I have a hotpoint Ultima wmd942 which looks like this
https://cdn.images.reevoo.com/products/1432/1432850/original.jpgtimestamp=1398538417

So its been getting noisy over the last few weeks so the wife asked me to look at it. So i spin the drum free hand and its a bit noisy and there is lift in the drum which indicates the bearings have worn out. So me being of mechanical knowledge thinking I wonder if i can change the bearings which for me would be easy but time consuming as the whole machine needs to come apart but hey not a problem and the bearings seem to be from £10 to £20 on ebay for a typical bearing seal kit.

Well Here comes the punchline
Turns out it is a problem as the drum/tubs on the newer machines are now plastic welded together and cannot just be split in two with bolts like the older generation machines, So for most people this means a new machine now as a drum is like £140 (cheapest I can find) instead of £10 to £20 for a rebuild bearing kit.

So Not sure if other makes are following suite or not.

Not sure if i want to cut my drum in two as I am not even certain what size bearings this machine is running due to limited information, seems like they dont want you to fix your machine.

Anyone had a similar experience? or can offer knowledge?

Thanks in advance

Leigh

Sponsored Links
Yes, when I was in the trade, bearing jobs were a nice little earner but not so much today. One possibility is to find a donor machine for spares. The other most common reason machines are scrapped is circuit board failure so such a machine can be used to get a replacement tub.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back