Hotpoint WD440 - Flashing lights & thermostat tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a WD440 which keeps tripping the thermostat during the drying program. Been trying a few things tonight and the following seems to be happening;

It seems to dry ok on the lower heat setting.

It seems to dry ok if I start on the lower heat setting then a few minutes in select the 'Drying heat high' option (not sure if this actually changes anything once the program has started though.

But if I select the 'Drying heat high' setting about 2-5mins in the thermostat trips. I then get a fast flashing on/off light. Plush a flashing 'Drying heat high', 'Reduce Crease' & 'Time Save' light (lights 1, 2 & 4 in the vertical stack of 5 lights). Fan motor (at rear of heater manifold) appears to be running ok (put finger on the spindle and can feel it spinning).

Any ideas .... has the thermostat become a bit too sensitive due to be reset quite a few times now ?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may be able to offer.

Sponsored Links
it means reduced air flow ,check fluff in heater box and the gauze filter at the back of the heater box it will need a clean and poke 2 big holes in it ,you need to split the heater box ,also check the fan blade is not loose.

rocks1 - You were spot on.

Split the heater box (7 x T20 torx bolts) & checked the fan which was ok, so just gave the blades a clean.

Then removed the lower half of the heater box (6 x T30 torx bolts) & the gauze filter at the back of the heater box was pretty blocked. So removed it, gave a a clean & refitted it.

Just had it on a high heat drying cycle and all seems to be ok.

So many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Sorry for opening an old topic but this seemed to describe the same issue I'm experiencing. The same light show after I have just attempted a short K wash.

Initially, I unplugged, removed the back access panel and removed the rubber linkage (?filter?) under the heater and cleaned out a few bits of rubbish (a screw, a underwire from a bra...)

View media item 29993and tried a rinse and spin.

Unfortunately, after 4 mins or so, the same described light flashing on the front f13 can be seen.

I have removed the lid and checked for loose wires etc but can't find anything.

View media item 29992
I'm going to borrow a multimeter from work tomorrow so I can check the thermostat. I assume that this is the black round component about 2cm in diameter on the top of the heater?

After that I guess I need to check inside the heater, can anyone supply any advice when performing this ope ration or what other checks I need to perform.

Thanks in advance.

Check the fan is moving and the one shot has continuity plus the heater.

Hi rocks1

It might sound like a odd question but what is a 'one shot'?

Also, the other half has just advised be that the K wash she ran had some stain remover in the wash and there were 'loads' of dense suds visible in the drum before the lights started flashing.

Since we haven't been using the drying option, can it be that the suds have expanded up into this section of the machine and caused some damage?

One shot is on the heater box. A little disc size of 5 p or a yellow wire going to heater and plugs into wiring. As for suds that's down to too much powder or the filter is blocked. Found at the back a big black cup under the drum. That won't cause any damage.

Many thanks,
I'll pick up some Torx bits on the way home.

When I do split the heater box are there any seals (or consumables) that would need replacing as a result of opening it?

So I've made a bit of progress this morning.

The thermostat on the top reads 25 k Ohms, It read 30kOhms last night but at least it isn't open. What should the reading be approx?

I have split the heater box open and haven't found any issues (as far as I can tell), a little bit of 'browning'/'rust' on the heater element and the fan spins freely (see below).
View media item 30146
I've opened the lower section and there is a little bit of dirt mildew build-up on the filter. I'm currently giving it a bit of a clean.

I'll be putting everything back shortly, it there anything else I can check, resistance of other components etc?

Whats the reading on the heater that's the curly one.

The reading on the heater is 47 Ohms.

For your reference, I've just done a reading on the heater at the bottom of the drum and that reads 32 Ohms.

The heater box did gret warm when I attempted a wash cycle on the Wednesday night.

Both heaters are ok if it got hot on drying and the fan is moving and the rear filter on the heater box is clear then the thermistor is faulty. That's the round disc with 2 black or blue wires go to on the heater box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back