Hotpoint WD440 wont start programmes (no lights flashing)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
If anyone can help I'd be very grateful. I have a Hotpoint WD440 washer/dryer that is about 4 years old. The last load of laundry washed fine, and the machine finished the cycle as normal. It did sound a bit different when it was spinning - perhaps a bit like an ungreased bearing. But it finished fine. Now it won't start up, no matter what cycle I select.

Usual process was to shut door, press ON button, then press START button. WASH light will come on, then DOOR LOCKED light will come one, and it fills.
Now, today, I note that the DOOR LOCKED light doesn't come on. It doesn't lock and therefore it won't fill/spin/drain.

I replaced the interlock which latches/locks the door, as that was only £5 from ebay and plugs in very simply. No joy. I rocked the drum, reseated all connectors and tried again to no avail. Visual inspection of PCB could not find any blown components, burn marks, or odd stains.

I then had my father-in-law round, and he put a multimeter across various things. The brushes must be ok as he saw a reading across the armature (we undid the spade connector on one side of motor first). We checked continuity across the heater element in the dryer box, and various other points.

(We were a bit unsure about the temperature sensor/cutout in the dryer box. It read open circuit when cold which surprised us. We disconnected it and stuffed a bit of wire in to form a closed circuit, in case that encouraged the machine to turn on...but no.)

So I guess it can only be the PCB? A new one is £140 plus VAT, and most places want £53-84 labour charge, plus VAT, to fit it. So I might as well buy a new machine for £220 (no dryer) or £300 (with dryer)!

Is there anything else I can check?
Thank you all.

Sponsored Links
Remove motor brushes and check the length poss worn down.

I thought that putting a multimeter across the motor would prove the brushes were fine? If no brush contact we wouldn't have seen a reading.

Sponsored Links
You will poss get contact but not enough to power the mc up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back