House extension, dismantling stone wall & reusing the st

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the planning stages of an extension to my house and I'm looking for opinions on whether this is a practical and cost efffective idea.
Basically the house is an end of terrace, built in local stone externally (c. 1930) with a brick inner skin, and a hipped roof. I am intending to build a 2 storey extension onto the end of it, in matching stone.
If I were to have the stone outer skin of the existing wall dismantled and reuse the stone in constructing the new elevations, I figure the labour cost of dismantling the wall would be less than the cost saving of the reduced quantity of dressed stone required to build the new walls. Also it would gain me about a foot (or 300mm if you prefer) within the extension.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have on this.

Sponsored Links
You also need to factor in the roof loading, if you are re designing the roof and spanning over this wall with a new ridge steel etc thats fine but if you have rafters bearing on this wall you can not simply remove the outer cavity as it obviously completely compromises the strength.

If this is not an issue then reusing the stone may indeed be a better option especially in terms of continuity with the rest of the house stone. Dismantling it will not take long but cleaning the stone will and spending a few evenings chipping away with a brick hammer could save you quite a few quid. If your not keen to get involved and its all being done by paid labour then you need to do a few more sums.

been there, done that, been charged by the builder for my own stone .... ended up in court.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back