Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning a single storey rear extension to a stone built end of terrace house and i'm trying to design/construct in such a way as to avoid the need for planning permission.....

Not an issue with the exception of this clause

'Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house'

My idea was to build it in reconstituted stone up to the DPC, then block and render up to the eaves with stone coins up the corner. What are people opinions on this? Would it get passed without panning permission?

Sponsored Links
Unless you have a similar finish to you existing house then I doubt it'll pass under permitted development rights.

Best people to ask is you local council.

My idea was to build it in reconstituted stone up to the DPC, then block and render up to the eaves with stone coins up the corner. What are people opinions on this? Would it get passed without panning permission?
You know that's not 'similar in appearance to the existing house' that's why you've asked the question in the hope someone agrees with you.

Sponsored Links
thanks freddy

- my question is more regarding interpretation. Other extensions along the row of terraces are built with various materials, from normal brick to pebble dashed render. The cost of building it in stone would make it prohibitively expensive so I was enquring as to how far the statement can be stretched in this particular situation.

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys, and a special thanks to Fred - smashing chap.

Someone at the reception desk - or on the 'phone - will just say 'do it in stone' to cover themselves.

(@ OP not 'coin' but 'quoin')
So if the OP was your client what material would you say was acceptable? Bearing in mind that upon your advice your client would make a decision.

Someone at the reception desk - or on the 'phone - will just say 'do it in stone' to cover themselves.

So if the OP was your client what material would you say was acceptable? Bearing in mind that upon your advice your client would make a decision.

Right; If he's putting stone at the base, and for the quoins, I would suggest rendering it in a rough-cast finish, and then painting the render in some colour which would match the stone- that's all.
But, I would qualify that by saying it's only a suggestion for an application, and that the council may see it differently.

Right; If he's putting stone at the base, and for the quoins, I would suggest rendering it in a rough-cast finish, and then painting the render in some colour which would match the stone- that's all.
But, I would qualify that by saying it's only a suggestion for an application, and that the council may see it differently.
That’s fine. Except he is trying to do it under PD and presumably also looking to avoid the need for applying for a LDC so must rely solely on your advice, which would be?

Not trying to be awkward just interested in your opinion, in such circumstances and to cover oneself professionally how could your official advice be anything but a stone wall?

Yes, my mistake. If p.d. is the issue, I'd have to say; "to do it under p.d., you would have to use stone".

or something that looks like stone.

It says 'similar in appearance' not 'similar in nature'. In theory the extension could be wallpapered in digital print wallpaper made from photographing the existing wall and be compliant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back