Permitted Development materials “of a similar appearance”

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

As the title says, under PD legislation when building an an extension it is required to be finished with materials “of a similar appearance” to the house.

ie. doesn't have to be built of exactly the same material.

Does anyone have any experience of the leeway given with this?

ie. I have a stone built/exterior terraced house - would I get away with an extension of grey painted render because this is a 'similar' colour?

Sponsored Links
Possibly not, because 'similar appearance' in the context of walls will not just mean 'the same colour', but will probably include texture as well.

Possibly not, because 'similar appearance' in the context of walls will not just mean 'the same colour', but will probably include texture as well.

Thanks for the reply.

It's the definition of "similar" I'm struggling with, so if anyone can interpret that for me or think of some real life examples I'd be grateful.

I suppose the ultimate issue is that I would quite like a snappy rendered finish not to mention the extra cost of stonework...

drpepe;

You're in a grey area because 'similar' is subjective. People may give examples of materials which have been regarded by their councils as 'similar', but it will vary between councils, and between individual planning officers.

It's easy to say 'speak with your planning department', but by default any planning officer will say to use stone, in case he/she gets pulled up later on by their line manager.

If it's on the back of the house, maybe they would accept render, but on the side....?

Consider applying for a LDC?

Sponsored Links
drpepe;

You're in a grey area because 'similar' is subjective. People may give examples of materials which have been regarded by their councils as 'similar', but it will vary between councils, and between individual planning officers.

It's easy to say 'speak with your planning department', but by default any planning officer will say to use stone, in case he/she gets pulled up later on by their line manager.

If it's on the back of the house, maybe they would accept render, but on the side....?

Consider applying for a LDC?

Thanks for your comments Tony. We are at the early stages of planning a rear extension on our victorian terrace and I'm just considering some potential issues.

Perhaps I will get a couple of local architects in to give me some ideas. I've seen a few advertise that they give free preliminary assessments...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back